Brigstowe have extended their Peer Mentoring service to now include North Somerset.
They offer this service to anyone in North Somerset who has recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, or needs help managing it. They match clients up a with one of their volunteer Peer Mentors who can support them by sharing their own experience of living with the condition, providing information to help them learn more about their condition and live well.
On a weekly basis for up to 4 months, the mentors can:
· Listen to the challenges or obstacles clients may have
· Share their own experiences with them
· Provide appropriate information about Type 2 diabetes
· Support them to identify goals and will encourage, support and listen
· Our mentors currently offer online support only.
Due to the COVID restrictions, mentoring meetings with happen virtually i.e. via video chat or telephone, with the aim to introduce face to face meetings to be reintroduced when it’s safe.
They are also looking for people living with Type 2 Diabetes who may be interested in becoming Mentors.