In case you are losing track of what day of the week it is, today is
Monday 1 March 2021
If you are self-isolating at home it is important to keep active, both physically and mentally.
Could now be the time to do those jobs around the house that you never had time for?
Looking on the bright side now could be the time to do all those jobs around the house you never had time for? If you are lucky enough to have a garden, get outside and see all the changes that are taking place. Perhaps now is the time to start a project or learn something new? Connect with friends by phone, email and even letter!
Try to mix things up a bit so the days don’t blur.
It’s important to stay positive and to look after yourself. This will pass but until it does it will help to continue being active, perhaps in different ways, to look after your mental health and to get into a routine so that the days don’t just blur into each other. This situation is not what any of us would have asked for, but if you can, use your time well and you’ll get a sense of satisfaction from what you’ve achieved. Why do we talk about “killing time”, when it’s much better to make good use of it!
There are lots of suggestions for things to do on this website
Follow the links that drop down under ‘Things to Do’ on the menu above to find lots of things to keep your mind and body active, whatever your interests are.
Take our Daily Planner challenge!
We’ll try to keep this website full of ideas for challenging, invigorating or enjoyable things to do.
The challenge is to look at the planner below and try to tick off something new from each suggested category each day!
|TIME||ACTIVITY||WHAT DID YOU DO?||GIVE YOURSELF A TICK|
|First hour||Have a nice hot drink and look out of the window for a bit. Take in the weather and what's going on in the world! When you feel lively enough go and have a shower or wash and get dressed. You may not be seeing anyone but if you make yourself look presentable you'll feel better for it!|
|Morning||After you've had time to wake up, check out today's Word of the Day - try to remember it for tomorrow & test yourself.|
Select one of the Staying Active at Home sessions to look at and maybe try.
Now your endorphins have given you a sense of well-being have a look at the news using our Newsdeck where all different sources are brought together.
Now it's time to look after your mental well-being. Find out some tips to keep your mind calm here.
How did you do?
|Lunch time||Make & enjoy a healthy balanced meal if possible. It'll bring you pleasure and be good for the immune system.|
|Afternoon||If the weather is nice why not pop outside if you have a garden, if not then throw open the windows.|
There are lots of options on our Things to Do page why not alternate - is today a learn or a visit somewhere new day? You could contribute to our Grand Tour map!
It's very important to stay social so make the effort to call or email a friend. Even then you could do things a bit differently - have a look at our Staying Sociable page for ideas. If you have a smart-phone or computer you could video call them - find out how
|Evening||Take time over cooking your dinner (perhaps you could find inspiration on our cooking page?) and really savour it.|
Instead of just watching any old thing on the TV, if you're stuck have a look at our watch page.
Or if you'd prefer you a book you could visit ourreading page
Have a great night's sleep and try to do it again (but different) tomorrow!
Suggested links for ‘Things to do’
- Watch this fox trying to reach the fatballsFoxes are desperate for food at this time of year … Continued
- Online exercise sessions – book ahead for the New Year! Work off that Christmas pud!We’ve just added the first two weeks worth of online … Continued
- Not sure how to Zoom? Online shopping not your bag? You need FREE One-to-One Covid secure IT/Technology support sessions for older people at The Engine Room, BridgwaterAre you aged over 50? Do you need help to … Continued
- Episode 2 of ‘Walking Around My Garden’So it’s been 16 weeks since i filmed the Pilot … Continued
- Balls for Boredom – some Knitters’ yarns!So far we have sent out over 220 balls of … Continued
- Enjoy a sing-a-long online!If you are at home and isolated and love a … Continued
- GUESS HOW MANY PEA-PLE ARE AT THE PYRAMID STAGE TO WIN A RARE SIGNED GLASTONBURY 2019 POSTER!As Age UK Somerset is a Somerset charity, and as … Continued
- More Free Activities for Education or EntertainmentHave you heard of the Workers Educational Association (WEA)? They … Continued
- Take a 31 day creativity challenge! Free resources from The Age of CreativityThe 31 creative challenges are a designed to be month … Continued
- Admire these wonderful bird photos from Carl Bovis a Somerset Nature PhotographerCarl Bovis, based in Somerset, posts amazing photos of garden … Continued
- Keep your mind active with a Daily online CrosswordI’ve just discovered this daily crossword page. The crosswords are … Continued
- Enjoy this lively keyboard concert from Richard LennoxThis lively hour long performance by Richard Lennox was live … Continued
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Bumblebees (but were afraid to ask?)Local photographer Kit Houghton has produced this interesting short video … Continued
- Learn all about Steepholm – by Kit HoughtonWe’re very pleased that local photographer Kit Houghton has allowed … Continued
- Watch a squirrel take on this NHS themed obstacle courseA man has built an NHS-themed obstacle course for squirrels … Continued
- Watch the National Theatre’s Frankenstein(s) from Thursday 23rd April-8th May!Each week the National Theatre are giving free access to … Continued
- Watch National Theatre productions Live from your sofa! This week Jane EyreThe National Theatre in London is currently closed but the … Continued
- The simple pleasure of watching wagtailsA member of Age UK Somerset staff sent me this … Continued
- Discover the Best Books of the 20th CenturyWhen I’m looking for something new to read I often … Continued
- Explore 60,000 Free Books online at Project GutenbergProject Gutenberg is an American website library of over 60,000 … Continued
- Prizes for creative over 70s!King Lear Prizes are “The new national literary and creative … Continued
- Listen to BBC Radio 4 Extra – It has no news!BBC Radio 4 Extra broadcasts comedy, drama, and feature programming … Continued
- What you should be doing in your garden in AprilIf you’re lucky enough to have a garden, here is … Continued
- Learn a language a fun wayA small green friendly owl can help you learn a … Continued
- Have a go at making simple soda breadLosing your loaf? Or down to your last slice of … Continued
- Oh la la, “Easy” Croissant RecipeIf you’ve got flour, butter, yeast, sugar and salt why … Continued
- The UK’s Official Lockdown Listening List!Find out which songs are the most popular. It’s a … Continued
- Learn a new word every dayVisit Word of the Day from the Merriam Webster dictionary … Continued
- Fancy learning to crack cryptic crosswords?If you are looking for a distracting/stimulating/frustrating hobby to occupy … Continued
- View the Cornish coast live from the Minack TheatreThis webcam overlooks the spectacularly positioned and world famous Minack … Continued
- Enjoy having The Sistine Chapel to yourselfVirtually visit the Sistine Chapel here – http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/collezioni/musei/cappella-sistina/tour-virtuale.html And watch … Continued
- Explore the Georgia O’Keeffe MuseumTake a tour around the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum. https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/georgia-o-keeffe-museum?hl=en
- Explore The British Museum:Delve into two million years of culture and history. https://britishmuseum.withgoogle.com
- Visit The Louvre:Take time to enjoy some art. https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne#tabs
- Look behind the scenes at NASA:Explore NASA Glenn research centre’s facilities. https://www.nasa.gov/glennvirtualtours Discover Langley Research … Continued
- Wander around the USA National Aquarium:Discover an underwater world. https://aqua.org/media/virtualtours/baltimore/index.html
- Visit San Diego Zoo:View live web cams of the animals. https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/videos
- Enjoy the National Museum of Anthropology:Discover ancient civilisations. https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/the-national-museum-of-anthropology-mexico-city-ziko-van-dijk-wikimedia-commons/bAGSHRdlzSRcdQ?hl=en
- Visit The Shedd Aquarium:See behind the scenes footage. https://www.facebook.com/sheddaquarium/
- Discover the Guggenheim:View the renowned art collection. https://www.guggenheim.org/collection-online
- Tour the Getty Museum:Explore the art collection. https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/the-j-paul-getty-museum?hl=en
- Explore Houston ZooView live webcams https://www.houstonzoo.org/explore/webcams/
- Explore The Natural History Museum:Discover ancient specimens. https://naturalhistory2.si.edu/vt3/NMNH/
- Be transported to Georgia Aquarium:View the Beluga Whale live web cam. https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/beluga-whale-webcam/
- Have a look around Monteray Bay Aquarium:See what the animals are up to. https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/live-cams
- Observe the animals at Cincinnati Zoo:Be taken on home safaris and view live feeds. https://www.facebook.com/watch/cincinnatizoo/689860164810534/
- Peruse Van Gogh:View the classic artworks. https://artsandculture.google.com/streetview/van-gogh-museum-groundfloor/2QHwyv_Y6gueAw?hl=en&sv_lng=4.8808198&sv_lat=52.3585336&sv_h=0.07351778050821167&sv_p=-14.958125813166376&sv_pid=T4EwMNbRYOhcEPF8T1I8xw&sv_z=1
- Discover Atlanta Zoo:View the Panda cam. https://www.facebook.com/watch/cincinnatizoo/689860164810534/
- New information being added dailyIf there is something you would like to see here, … Continued
- Tune in to The Stay at Home Festival by Cosmic ShamblesThe Cosmic Shambles Network, proudly present The Stay at Home … Continued
- Museum Visits (with no queues!)Fancy a bit of culture? Loose yourself with a cup … Continued
- Quiz- Capitals of the WorldKeep your brain active with the first of our quizzes!
- Discover all the boats in the world(They are possibly called ships aren’t they?) An interesting way … Continued
- Live from Grundarfjörður – Iceland!Very calming, but addictive scenes from the harbour at Grundarfjordur … Continued
- Pilot episode of “Walking around the garden”Do you have a garden? If not why not join … Continued