Are you worried about running out of necessities?
If you are worried about running out of necessities such as food or medicines don’t be shy about asking family and friends for help. They could offer to pick things up for you if they are not self-isolating, and drop them at your doorstep. If they use the internet they could help you do shopping online.
If you don’t have anyone you can turn to for help, there are groups springing up all over the area who can help you. You could search on Facebook for your nearest group, contact your Parish Council or your local shop, or visit our In Your Area pages to see where you can request help.
We’ve provided free food for those in need.
Age UK Somerset is committed to supporting older people in a variety of ways.
During these tough times some older people found getting food a difficulty. We helped by providing and delivering over 800 meals to local older people, supported by donations from members of the public and many organisations.
Prescriptions and medicine
If you have a repeat prescription (and internet access) you can arrange for it to be delivered to you using www.Pharmacy2u.co.uk or calling 0113 265 0222 . This is also possible through the NHS App – click for more details.
Someone can collect prescriptions on your behalf
Food and other groceries
We are compiling information about what food delivery services are available in local areas on our In Your Area page, but here we are listing generally what the supermarkets are doing.
FREE BASIC FOOD PARCELS FOR THE MOST VULNERABLE
The government has contacted 900,000 vulnerable people and plans to distribute free food parcels every week to more than 50,000 who have no family or friends to help them. The identical parcels contain essential non-perishable supplies like pasta, cereal, fruit, tea bags, potatoes and tinned goods as well as toilet paper. A food distribution company will deliver the packs to people’s doorsteps, although in some cases local authorities, charities or emergency services may help out.
What the supermarkets were doing – written 3rd April 2020.
INSTORE: Priority shopping hours of 8am-9am Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. Click here to see your nearest store
ONLINE: Priority delivery slots for older existing customers and the most vulnerable. One slot per week. Capacity for online and telephone orders has been increased. Telephone orders – 0800 328 1700
LATEST INFO CAN BE FOUND ON THEIR WEBSITE HERE
IN STORE: Offering priority shopping hours for older customers from 9am to 10am on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Click here to find your nearest store.
ONLINE: Priority delivery slots will have an 8-hour delivery window – either from 10am to 6pm or 2pm to 10p.
We will try to add more information on this page about what is available.
Latest info about supplies:
- Crewkerne – Be a Good NeighbourVolunteer-led scheme providing support for local people who are shielding, by doing … Continued
- Wellington – Tim Potter Family ButchersMeat boxes available for collection on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays for £25. Reserve … Continued
- Our ‘angels’ go above (and beyond) 150 food deliveries!Our team of staff and volunteer delivery drivers were out again yesterday … Continued
- A useful website for food & groceries across SomersetSomerset Day 365 have put together a website, ‘Shop Somerset’, of local … Continued
- Williton – Masons Arms InnServing food from 12pm – 2pm and 6pm – 8:30pm, Monday – … Continued
- Minehead – Lisa’s Vintage TearoomProviding takeaway food from 10am until 2:30pm Monday – Saturday Call 01643 … Continued
- Minehead – Taj MahalDelivering takeaway Indian food. Open every day 5:30pm-10:30pm. https://tajmahalminehead.co.uk/ Call: 01643 704857
- Minehead – Fausto’sOpen for takeaways and deliveries only. Delivery on Friday and Saturday nights … Continued
- Minehead – Exmoor White Horse InnProviding a takeaway food service and open for dining in. Call: 01643 … Continued
- Knock and run! Doorstep deliveries warmly receivedThis week staff and volunteers from Age UK Somerset “knocked and ran” … Continued
- Age UK Somerset staff deliver essentials and goodies to those most in needToday (Tuesday 5th May), a team of Age UK Somerset staff will … Continued
- Article on how to access groceries if you’re vulnerable and ‘shielding’ due to coronavirusIn this useful article from the MoneySavingExpert website they cover: – Registering … Continued
- Asda introduces Volunteer Shopping cardFor Volunteers who are shopping for someone else Asda has now introduced … Continued
- New information being added dailyIf there is something you would like to see here, please get … Continued
Friendly phone calls
If you are feeling lonely or a bit isolated and feel that a chat would help, get in touch! We have started a new Friendly Phone calls service which is just that!
Sign up and you will receive a phone call from one our friendly members of staff.
Call 01823 345610 to register
Please leave a message including your name and number
This website contains links to third party websites that we think may interest you. We cannot guarantee that these share our high standards and respect for privacy. We cannot be held responsible for the content of these websites and following the links and viewing the content outside of our website is at your own risk. We would strongly urge you to satisfy yourself that any activities are safe and suitable for you and your environment, before deciding to taking part, be careful what information you might share and NEVER give out financial information.