On this page you’ll find some links and videos for exercises and activities you can do safely at home.
It’s very important that we try to keep ourselves in good shape at this time.
Here are some resources to help you maintain your level of fitness, strength and balance.
Pencil in some time on your daily planner to keep you motivated or encourage older friends and relatives to do so!
If you need anything printed and posted because they don’t have internet access please get in touch.
Make Movement Your Mission!
If you want to set aside time each day in an organised way, try Later Life’s “make movement your mission” programme. 10 minutes, 2 times a day, for 30 days….you can watch the introductory video below and find out how to sign up for free.
Stay Active at Home – Strength and balance exercises for older people
Exercises for older people from NHS Choices
Chair based exercises for older adults manual
Leaflet from Alliance – A guide to help you stay active and improve strength and balance at any age
Later Life Training
Later Life have some wonderful activities that can help over the coming weeks. You can find their simple chair-based exercise programme leaflet here.
Free motivational calendar!
Later Life Training have also made their wonderful ‘I Can’ calendar available free as an online download. They describe it as their, “new habit forming, movement prompting, motivation thought provoking, strength and balance monitoring… calendar!”
Tai Chi for health
Tai Chi is as effective as most high-impact exercises at improving circulation and co-ordination and decreasing blood pressure. As importantly for older people, it is extremely effective at improving physical balance, vitally important for helping to prevent falls in later life.
This video is from www.taichiforbetterhealth.co
Click on the square at the bottom to watch it on full screen.
That video along with a list of moves can be found at http://www.taichiforhealth.org.uk/shibashi-1-video.html
Join our list
We will be sending out regular email to our customers and friends over the coming weeks, with new information, links and activities and will also share ideas and thoughts from people all over the county.
If you would like to receive these emails, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Or if you have anything you would like to share, please also get in touch.
Want us to send you anything?
Though we are working from home, some staff have printers! If you would like us to print something off and send it to you, please let us know by using the contact form and selecting that option from the drop down list. We would just ask that you make a donation to cover the small cost of printing and posting if possible.
This page is being updated and added to regularly. Please see below for the latest additions.
- Job Vacancy – Can you help us find our new Ageing Well Manager?As an independent local charity working in Somerset and North Somerset, our ‘Ageing Well’ … Continued
- Online exercise sessions – book ahead for the New Year! Work off that Christmas pud!We’ve just added the first two weeks worth of online exercise sessions restarting in … Continued
- Co-op Member? Please support us as your local cause and help us bring people together.If you are a co-op member, when you buy selected products or services, 2p … Continued
- Dianne Ramsay28th May 1970 – 18th September 2020 As you may know it was dear … Continued
- New information being added dailyIf there is something you would like to see here, please get in touch.
- Tips for staying active at home from the World Health Organisation“Sedentary behaviour and low levels of physical activity can have negative effects on the … Continued