Could you be a Friendly Phone Call Volunteer?
Would like to help older people who are feeling lonely and isolated?
Well, you can now do so from your own home!
We are looking for Volunteers to make a weekly phone call to chat an older person.
Please can you help?
To learn more and sign up, please email email@example.com or
call 01823 345623 and leave a message.
Here are some ways we can all help
- Help with supplies – If you’re feeling well, why not offer to pick up shopping for an older neighbour or relative who might self-isolating or is worried about going to the shops? If you are helping someone who is self-isolating make sure you leave the shopping on their front doorstep, knock on their door and step back while you ensure they safely receive it. Make sure you stand 2 metres away from them at all times.
- Help with morale by staying in touch – Call older relatives, friends and neighbours to let them know you are thinking of them. Ask if there’s anything you can do to help, or just make time for a chat. Perhaps you could sort out a rota with other family members to make sure they are getting lots of social contact. If they have access to the technology, now would be a great time to talk them through how to use video calling and other apps. See our How to Guides for help with this.
- Volunteer – If you are fit and well, wanting to volunteer, and not putting yourself at risk, it is much appreciated. We have listed more information below.
It is heart-warming that many hundreds of people all across the area have come forward to offer help at this difficult time. If you are fit and well, wanting to volunteer, and not putting yourself at risk, it is much appreciated.
Different Volunteer roles
There are a number of roles depending on where you live. It could be for shoppers or people delivering food and medicines or picking up prescriptions or making phone calls to keep people motivated and connected.
In North Somerset you could join the North Somerset Community Volunteers
This is a co-ordinated partnership Volunteer initiative in North Somerset.
Take part in neighbourly volunteering and help support older people in your community who are staying at home due to the coronavirus epidemic.
To help you get involved we have produced a postcard which includes our contact details, that you can print off and complete with your key information.
All you do then is post it through the letterboxes of older people in your area to let them know you are available should they need support.
There are also lots of very local groups and organisations who have formed, and there is likely to be one near you. If you have access to Facebook or Nextdoor have a search for “Covid 19” or “Coronavirus” groups. You could try your local shop or the Parish Council for help steering you to a group that already exists.
Volunteering with Age UK Somerset
If you are interested in volunteering with us in the future we would love to hear from you and will keep your contact details on file ready for when we are resuming normal service.
Updates about How to Help
- Our Volunteers have written limericks!This Volunteer’s Week (1st to 7th June 2021) we asked our Volunteers to write … Continued
- Would you like to see more than 100 animals drawn (badly) for Age UK Somerset?A fundraising activity took place over the early May Bank Holiday weekend. A member … Continued
- We need Knitters with “Wool Power” for the innocent Big KnitThe innocent Big Knit campaign has returned and we are calling on local knitters … Continued
- Christmas Office Closure – Emergency Numbers
- Co-op Member? Please support us as your local cause and help us bring people together.If you are a co-op member, when you buy selected products or services, 2p … Continued
- Please support our winter loneliness campaign and help us ensure that no-one has no-one this winterEvery year, thousands of local older people call on Age UK Somerset for practical … Continued
- Mrs D of Taunton was in it, and she did win it!Mrs D OF Taunton WON! Because she bought a ticket WE WON too! Next … Continued
- Crewkerne – Be a Good NeighbourVolunteer-led scheme providing support for local people who are shielding, by doing shopping, collecting … Continued
- If you are in Taunton Deane or West Somerset, you could Win a B&Q Gift Card when you support us through the Somerset West LotteryThe Somerset West Lottery was set up to help charities working across the Somerset … Continued
- You could Win a B&Q Gift Card when you support us through the Shape Mendip LotteryShape Mendip Lottery was set up to help charities working across Mendip. When you … Continued
- National Trading Standards offer free call blockersNational Trading Standards have teamed up with Trucall to offer free call blockers to … Continued
- GUESS HOW MANY PEA-PLE ARE AT THE PYRAMID STAGE TO WIN A RARE SIGNED GLASTONBURY 2019 POSTER!As Age UK Somerset is a Somerset charity, and as one of the most … Continued
- A little act of kindness can boost your Mental Health – Mental Health Awareness Week 18-24th MayMental Health Awareness Week is the UK’s national week to raise awareness of mental … Continued
- Asda introduces Volunteer Shopping cardFor Volunteers who are shopping for someone else Asda has now introduced the Volunteer … Continued
- Find or offer help with Nextdoor Help MapsIf you are registered with www.nextdoor.co.uk then you can click on the Help Map … Continued
- Corona Helpers for SomersetSPARK Somerset have launched a county wide free online platform called Corona Helpers. Coronavirus … Continued
- New information being added dailyIf there is something you would like to see here, please get in touch.
This website contains links to third party websites that we think may interest you. We cannot guarantee that these share our high standards and respect for privacy. We cannot be held responsible for the content of these websites and following the links and viewing the content outside of our website is at your own risk. We would strongly urge you to satisfy yourself that any activities are safe and suitable for you and your environment, before deciding to taking part, be careful what information you might share and NEVER give out financial information.